One Research Assistant (RA) Position Immediately Available at the Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore
One Research Assistant position is immediately available for the project “Enhancing the Urban Native Biodiversity of Singapore” under the charge of Associate Professor Hugh Tan, Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore. This project seeks to
- Increase the use of native landscape plants among professionals in the landscape and horticulture industry through publications, creation of the first native plant database, and demonstration landscape plots.
- Develop appropriate know-how for propagation of native plants and diffuse the knowledge to NParks’ and local nurseries to enable a gradual build-up of native plant stock for landscape use.
- Develop the know-how to screen and grow native plants in the urban environment for high survivability.
- Demonstrate the positive ecological benefits of the use of native plants in urban landscapes in Singapore.
Salary will be commensurate to academic qualification and work experience.
The job is a one-year contract research assistant appointment. Candidates are expected to:
- Participate in field work around various locations in Singapore for survey and plant collection.
- Participate in horticultural research to grow and utilize native plants for landscaping.
- Write reports/contribute to publications arising from the project.
- BSc or BSc (Honours) in horticulture, botany, biology, life sciences (majoring in environmental biology or biology) or other related fields.
- Experience in horticulture is advantageous or candidates must have interest in cultivating native Singapore plants and botanical field research
- Possession of a Singapore Class 3 driving license with driving experience of at least a year or more is preferred
- Good writing skills
- IT competent (MS word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Photoshop)
- Candidates who are selected must be willing to work part-time for a trial period of two months to ascertain suitability.
Please contact Mr. David Austin (email@example.com; 65162708) for any enquiries.
Any interested candidate are to email his or her covering letter and an up-to-date curriculum vitae (including the names of three referees) by 8 Nov 2012.